When a cockroach wants to shake a tail feather, what music does it prefer? Apparently, Lady Gaga.
This summer, four teenagers in an engineering program at New York’s Cooper Union were studying the movement of roaches by hooking them up to electrodes and then exposing them to electric pulses. But soon the roaches got used to the pulses and stopped moving about when they started. Desperate to find a way to get the roaches moving, the guys decided to try playing music for them. They tried Weezer, but got no response from the bugs. Ditto for heavy metal rockers Avenged Sevenfold.
But when they started playing Lady Gaga—well, the roaches responded immediately, and never stopped their flapping.
An 18-wheel truck pulling an empty water tank is hanging precariously off an interstate ramp in Fort Worth after a predawn crash, and three people have been rescued from the wreck.
via Three rescued
India’s fake pilot scandal began unravelling when a female captain landed her packed airliner on the nose instead of the rear wheels as she touched down in the holiday hotspot of Goa…
The case set alarm bells ringing for passengers, anxious about the idea of a semi-trained fraud being responsible for their lives, and for airline bosses, who have been hiring crew at a furious pace in recent years.
via Yahoo! News.
- Faked Airline-Pilot Records Prompt India to Review Licenses (businessweek.com)
- If fake pilots are flying, what are real pilots doing? (Satire) (linusfernandes.com)
- India Takes Action Against Pilots Using Fake Licenses. (planenews.com)
A Huntsville woman is suing the makers of a hand warming product after she claimed the product ignited and burned her buttocks and legs, said Huntsville attorney Brent Jordon. In a statement released by Jordan, the lawsuit claims Lauren Self, of Madison, was using (the hand warmers) on Feb. 5 when she reached hand into her back pocket and the product caught fire.
“The phone got hot then started smoking then blew up. My wife and kid were in the room and it set off my fire alarm. It slighty burned my hand when I tried to pick it up. Basically the battery caught on fire.”
Remember the laptop fires a couple of years ago? This is certainly not Apple’s fault but it would be a good idea to be aware of your iPhones temperature.
Paramedics in Australia described a woman as “incredibly lucky” after she was run over by her own car – twice.
The 37-year-old had pulled into the driveway of her Melbourne home and, in her haste, failed to put on the handbrake.
The runaway car knocked the woman to the ground and ran over her abdomen and legs, reports the Melbourne Age.
As she lay injured on the driveway, the car continued rolling down the incline, hit a fence and rolled back towards her, running her over again.
via Orange UK
If this is “lucky” think of the kind of day she would have had if she was “unlucky.”
- Aust. woman run over by her own car. Twice. (sfgate.com)
- ‘Lucky’ Australian woman run over by own car – twice (purestrange.wordpress.com)
Terrified householders had to abandon an entire town after 3,000 illegally bred king cobra eggs hatched out and gave their owner the slip.
The eggs – bred to supply the traditional health industry – had been stored in a cage in a house in Xianling, south west China.
But the newly hatched snakes escaped through a hole in their enclosure and took over the entire town.
The king Cobra is one of the most dangerous snakes in the world.
A food processing plant in Texas has been shut down after contaminated celery was linked to the deaths of four people.
The victims all died from listeriosis food poisoning after eating chopped celery from the factory in San Antonio.
The rare bacterial infection is particularly dangerous for newborn babies, pregnant women and the elderly.
It can be caused by not washing or cooking raw vegetables properly.
via Mail Online.
- Sangar Food Plant Shut Down: Listeriosis Tainted Celery Recall (nowpublic.com)
- Death by Celery: Yet Another Food Recall (food.change.org)
Next time you use the lift (elevator, Yank), you might want to wash your hands. A typical elevator button harbours nearly 40 times as many germs as a public toilet seat, scientists have found.
A study carried out in hotels, restaurants, banks, offices and airports found 313 ‘colony forming units’ of bacteria on every square centimetre of lift button.The equivalent surface area of toilet seat had only eight units.
Biologists tracking jaguars in the Guatemalan jungle might smell nice but it’s all in the name of science, with researchers finding the Calvin Klein cologne Obsession for Men attracts big cats.Biologists Rony Garcia and Jose Moreira from the Wildlife Conservation Society’s WCS Jaguar Conservation Program say they use hidden cameras as a primary source for observing and tracking jaguars in Guatemala’s Maya Biosphere Reserve.But they also rely on Obsession for Men, a cologne known for its complex scent, to help lure then research and hopefully ultimately preserve jaguars in the Central American country.
via Yahoo! News.
The son of a well-known Alcoa (Tenn.)pastor has taken out an order of protection against his father, claiming he was threatened with a gun during an argument at a church over his lack of church attendance…
The younger man told police his father pulled out a handgun when they met at the church to discuss church attendance. He told officers his father pointed the gun at him and threatened to kill him, his wife and family.
The Ugandan ethics minister has put a halt to witch doctors advertising their services on the radio claiming that the stations “…are promoting witchcraft-related activities to the detriment of Uganda’s integrity” and are in violation of the 1957 Witchcraft Act.
A worried Iranian airline pilot asked passengers to start praying after his plane was hit by a technical glitch early on Thursday, highlighting once again the notorious record of Tehran’s aircraft.
The Aseman Airlines Boeing plane had taken off from Tehran airport after a six-hour delay, but had to return following a technical fault, the ISNA news agency quoted a passenger as recounting…
“The pilot told the passengers ‘the plane is facing a technical problem and has to return. So please pray.'”
A right foot has been found inside a running shoe on a beach in Richmond, the seventh foot found along B.C.’s coast in two years, RCMP said Wednesday.
A Catholic who believed his prayers were answered when he was rescued from a lift was killed when he went to church to give thanks and the stone altar fell on him.
This gamekeeper sprints for his life after disturbing a hungry hippo while it was stuffing its face. He fled as the angry three-ton beast – which can hit speeds of up to 30mph – charged at him, still with a mouthful of grass.
The keeper only managed to escape a nasty end with an impressive 100m dash – in flat work shoes.
Officers with the U.S. Marshals Service have seized all skin sanitizers and skin protectants, including ingredients and components, at Clarcon Biological Chemistry Laboratory s facility in Roy, Utah, the Food and Drug Administration said.
The FDA also warned the public Saturday not to use any Clarcon products because they contain harmful bacteria and are promoted as antimicrobial agents that claim to treat open wounds, damaged skin, and protect against various infectious diseases. No cases have been reported to the FDA.
Full details at Ozarksnow
A Serbian woman has been cured of a deadly heart condition – when she was struck by lightning.
Shocked doctors who’d been treating Nada Acimovich, 51, for arrhythmia – irregular heartbeats that can be a killer – discovered she had made a complete recovery.
The doctors were “shocked”? I bet she was too.
There’s video here, taken from the beach.